Thursday, December 5, 2013

Your Own Argument and Opinions

In the end, I agreed with everything I was told. Most of it made sense to me, and if it did not, When I asked him to elaborate, he made it much clearer for me.

I am not entirely thrilled with everything, mostly the "proving infringement".
"To prove a violation, the plaintiff must present evidence that the work was original and that either: 
The infringer actually copied the work; or
The infringer had access to the original and the two works are substantially similar."
 Introduction to Business and Law, Beatty Samuelson, 507
I honestly have no idea how, in the film industry, you could track down whomever was taking your property and selling it, or simply giving it away.

That is not to say I can not do anything about it, or I want something changed so badly I need to start a regime. I just need to know that eventually, stealing copyrighted material is going to start getting harder.
"One of the major challenges for legal institutions in regulating copyrights is simply that modern intellectual property is so easy to copy."
Introduction to Business and Law, Beatty Samuelson, 508

I am however thrilled to know that I can share, or refuse to share, my own work with peers, family, friends, whomever at my own will, provided a company is not paying me to keep it secret. Or that I can find inspiration in any number of works, and incorporate ideas from certain pieces, and not be under any red lights. Especially considering how much I like to do parody work, which is completely protected, so long as I make it clear that there was no malicious intent.

"Unlike patents, the ideas underlying copyrighted material need not be novel. For example, three movies—Like Father Like Son, Vice Versa, and Freaky Friday—are about a parent and child who switch bodies. The movies all have the same plot, but there is no copyright violation because their expressions of the basic idea are different."
Introduction to Business and Law, Beatty Samuelson, 506

No comments:

Post a Comment